Thursday, December 6, 2012

19 days left - Family Crisis Center



Today was a WOW day.  When they opened today's letter their eyes were wide with anticipation when they saw the cash.  They read the note and then realized it would be for someone else, they were okay with that but were curious about where we were going.  They wondered if it would be like the City of Refuge, where we went last year to fix and serve dinner.  I picked the kids up after school and we went into town.  We went in and there was a young man who worked there who visited with us for a minute.  He explained that the Crisis Center was for families in trouble, when one of the parents were abusive or abandoned the family the center tries to help the families out until they get on their feet.  He explained that these were families from our own community, I think that hit home for the kids.  These families were not on the news in some far off place they are our neighbors.  After he finished talking to us he showed us their tree, on the tree were paper ornaments with a child's age and what they were asking for, you choose an ornament and then purchase the item listed.  My kids started looking at the requests, and it wasn't long before we were all a little teary eyed.  These kids were asking for coats, and hats, and gloves.  J.T. was especially touched, knowing that these things were things he took for granted, but they were what these kids "wanted" for Christmas.  We were only going to pick one ornament originally but we couldn't leave so many on the tree so we each picked two.  We   went over to Wal-Mart and started our shopping.  I think we were all thinking about these kids we will never meet but wanted to help so much.  At one point J.T. looked around and said, "I just want to get them everything."  After we picked our items out we headed back to the center to drop them off.  The kids placed the ornaments with the gifts.  




See what I mean about the "excitement" in their eyes?





This is what the kids thought:
Cambelle - I loved today, because we were helping people who were in need.  It made me feel happy and grateful because we were serving others.

J.T. - I felt really really blessed because all the things that were on the ornaments were little things.  It made me realize how blessed I am to have all the stuff I have.  I liked today because I knew I was serving people and not only people but the Lord.

Sara - I really liked today, because I felt more grateful and apprecitave for the things I have. I was glad to help someone else.  I realized even in here in our small town there are people who need help and I was glad to help.



I'm so grateful for today, it was a good day,  I should try to create days like this all year long.

1 comment:

  1. This is AMAZING!!! I hope I can recreate this with my kids someday. What a memorable day.

    ReplyDelete