Friday, October 18, 2013

Monticello

We spent a lot of time packing up and moving to a new hotel on our trip.  The kids did a great job, not one thing was left behind, and I loved where Cambelle let her pet ride.

Monday was CRAAAAZZY!!  But we will take it one step at a time.  We started our morning at one of my favorite houses in all of America, Monticello.  The first time I was in this house I was a senior in high school and it had an impact on me.  I was so impressed with Thomas Jefferson and his innovation.  I loved seeing the way he planned every part of the house to the advantage of living.  I love the architecture and the design, but I think even more than that there is a spirit of beginnings there, beginning of freedom, of a country, of a new life.









I could take that view in everyday and never get tired of it.

A generous donation was given to the foundation that supports Monticello and they are doing archaeologist excavation on the location where the slaves lived.  They are planning on rebuilding the structures where they lived and also furnishing the upstairs rooms.  I look forward to returning, hopefully in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment