Sunday, December 4, 2011

21 days left - Memory Tree



 Day 4 - This is THE DAY, my favorite, it is why we do it on my birthday every year.  We decorate the memory tree.  The memory tree is filled with symbols of what we have accomplished, events and wonderful things we have done together.  Through the year when we go somewhere we try to find an ornament that represents the location.  When the kids participate in an activity or start on a path of a new talent we try to find an ornament that reminds us of their accomplishments.  I love watching the kids faces as we unwrap each treasured bundle.  They anxiously wait for their special ornament, and share excitement and memories of the family ornaments.  This year we bought a couple of handmade ornaments in West Yellowstone when we spent the day there together on labor day.  Sara received a beautiful violin, as she has been playing now for a couple of months.  JT had the chance to try soccer, hence the soccer ball.  Cambelle started ballet and preformed in the Nutcracker and so there are two ornaments for her this year, ballet shoes and a nutcracker.  I love everyone of them, my hope is that my children will treasure these memories as much as I do. The fact that we do it on my birthday was started many years ago when Troy and I were first married.  I knew from experience that my birthday very rarely lived up to expectations so I wanted to start something that I would look forward to and would bring a smile to my face every year no matter where we were or what our financial circumstances were, so when we were first married we would put up our Christmas tree.  Well through the years I decided that  I wanted the tree up a little sooner and I wanted a separate place to hang our special ornaments, so the memory tree solved the issue of both situations.  Cambelle said tonight that she loved my birthday because we got to put the memory tree up, I think I have to agree with her.







We got this train in 2010 after we rode the North Pole Express in Heber City.

Troy and I picked this up in Victoria British Columbia in 1998.

This was in our package this year for Cambelle, it was her first year to participate in the Nutcracker.

This is Sara's violin.

In 2009 my dad passed away, he lived with us for 6 years and  we  miss him.  But it's nice to remember what he means to us.

In 2009 Troy and I were a Ma and Pa on a trek for our stake.

As a missionary I picked this up in Italy in 1995.


This is just a small example of all the ornaments we have.

Gifts symbolize the gift of Eternal Life.  Christ's atonement was a gift to us.  The gift might also remind us of the gifts of spirit that all should earnestly seek.  Our giving gifts to others remind us that all our work should be helping others to receive the gift of eternal life through the atonement

No comments:

Post a Comment