Monday, June 24, 2013

Temple Walk

I have had in my mind that I wanted to walk to the temple for awhile now.  I wanted to challenge my kids and allow them an experience that would ground them a bit and give them something to remind them of the importance of the choices that they make everyday.  

We didn't know for sure how many miles we would walk.  We thought is would be somewhere between 5 and 6 miles.  We were excited that this excursion would make a major dent in the 500 mile goal that we set at the beginning of the summer.  Everyone started with big smiles and a little excitement.

This is the view we have of the temple along the road that we live on.  We all commented on that fact that is seems SO far away.

Sara and Cambelle got a bit of a head start and stuck together for the first mile and then let us catch up.  I loved that they held hands.  Troy and J.T walk alike, it made me smile to watch this for a bit. When I looked ahead of me I was reminded how blessed I truly am.  We talked as we walked.  The first thing that we talked about was tithing.  We talked about the blessing that tithing is because we are able to use the money to build temples and because as we pay tithing we are able to attend the temple.

When we got a little closer to town we stopped for a shaved ice.  This part of the walk was noisy and there were lots of roads to cross.  We compared that to the distractions of the world and that we have to be mindful of what is going on around us.


We saw this gorgeous flower along the busy road.  I guess it goes to show you that even in chaos and confusion there are moments of beauty and serenity.

Along the final stretch we were under a canopy of trees.  It became much quieter and very enjoyable.  We saw this plaque along the way, it talks about the first school in the city.  We have driven along this road thousands of times and not one of us has ever seen this marker.  We talked about how sometimes you have to slow down and look around to notice the unexpected treasures.  So similar to our own lives.

Beautiful.

When we arrived there was a definite change in the way we felt.  J.T. quickly removed his hat and we all began speaking a little more reverently.  We slowed our pace and looked up and the beautiful spire.  We sat for a moment and just soaked in the feeling.  Then we began a discussion about the people that we love.  The kids named Grandma and Grandpa Thurgood, our family, Grandpa Nelson and then Cambelle named Grandma Nelson, "even though I never met her".  We talked about how because of the covenants you can make in the temple we have the opportunity to be with these people forever.  We talked of Christ and the great sacrifice he made for each of us and the love that He and our Heavenly Father has for us.  It was a sweet discussion.


We took a minute to write letters to Grandma and Grandpa.  The kids all went to different benches and took time to be alone and think about the walk they had just experienced.





The walk was 6 1/2 miles total, the kids did not complain once, seriously, not even a "how much longer" question.  There was not a single fight or disagreement along the way either.  Maybe that should be a lesson that when we are focused on something so positive it is so much easier to keep the negative away.  How grateful I am for my sweet family.  I treasure the knowledge that I have of Eternal Families.  I know that all this is possible only through our Savior Jesus Christ.  I feel so very blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Give me goosebumps. I hope someday I can give my kids the same awesome lessons you are instilling in yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie, honestly I read your blog and totally admire all you do to live every moment with your little ones. You are an awesome mom!!

      Delete