Friday, August 31, 2012

Table Rock

There is a mountain near the Grand Teton that for me as a child was legendary.  It was the mountain that my older brothers climbed for scouts.  When I heard people had hiked to the top I would think two things, first, "they are CRAZY, why would anyone want to do that?" and second, "I wish I could do something like that, but there is no way."  Three years ago Troy and I and some of his family decided to go ahead and hike that mountain, Table Rock.  We did it again this summer, we took J.T. along and it was a fantastic day.  One I will remember for a very long time.
We went up "the face", a little steeper but you save miles for sure, we started up and were met with this sign...


This was one of J.T.'s summer goals, I loved that he knew it would be hard but still wanted to push himself.  I want him to know that he can do hard things, and succeed.

Crystal and Norm went with us.
To be fair I am sure I am doing this as well, I just did not make it into the frame of the picture.  It is a really steep climb, I think the elevation at the top is about 11,200 feet.
There is a giant rock field right before you get to the final climb.


Nothing tastes as good as lunch does at the top.  It took us about five hours to get to the top.

The wind was blowing and it was pretty cold at the top.  J.T. was AMAZING!!!  He did not complain once, he kept moving and did so well.  We had such a great time together.

Do you like the death grip I have on J.T.?  Seriously, I don't love heights but the views are usually worth it.


Speaking of the views, there were so many fires that smoke filled the sky and you couldn't see much of anything, which was disappointing.  The Tetons are only about a mile away from the top and this was all you could see.


Table Rock from a distance, it's kind of fun to think at one point we were on the top of that.



Vince and Kaylee hiked with us the entire time.  We probably held them back a little, but I am sure glad they stuck with us 'cause they were fun to talk to.





THE END,  stiff, sore and a little tired.  I'm guessing some toenails were lost but it was well worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment