Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Crazy Little Hobbies

Art class was always my favorite in elementary school, it didn't matter what the project was I just loved the process, sitting there with scissors, glue and crayons and my thoughts.  I loved sharp new crayons, lined up according to color (of course) and the challenge of making whatever was in front of me look as much like the teachers as possible.  In third grade I carried a little binder that had all my drawings in them.  And Mrs. Steele introduced me to things like chalk pictures and real clay that felt like silk in your hands.  The sad thing is that as soon I got to High School and could choose my classes the responsibility bug kicked in and I took only classes that I deemed "worthy" of my future, something that would be useful in college or as a mother.  So that means there was a lot of math and English a foreign language here a business class there and all the home ec classes that I could muster.  I stopped doing the things that made me smile and fill something inside me and I began to do the responsible thing.  Now don't get me wrong the "responsible" thing did make me happy, because I knew that I wanted to do well in college and being a mother was always at the top of what I wanted to be when I grew up.  But I sometimes wish that I would have explored the smile side of me a little more in high school because now the hobbies I have that bring that smile back to my face is essentially, art.  I love cake decorating and photography.  Chances are there are other things that I would smile about but for right now these are the two I want to learn more about and perfect a little, to bad I don't have a teacher to give me a little competitive boost.

No comments:

Post a Comment