Saturday, July 23, 2011

Water balloons and slingshots

Every year on the 4th of July we look forward to the parade, a barbecue, fireworks and all that good American pie kind of stuff.  But in our family the 4th of July means something else as well, water balloon catapult.  I don't know exactly how many years ago this began but every year it all starts with a couple of our "tough" nephews, and occasionally a brave father.  They climb on the fence post and balance vicariously while the others happily stand in line and wait their turn to use the giant slingshot to fling water balloons at the volunteers.  This year was particularly enjoyable.  The girls were in good form and had great aim.  We watch and cheer when a balloon gets close and go wild when someone actually gets hit. The fun extended this year when it turned to a full fledged water fight,  I love watching my family when we all get together. 





Yes, that is my older brother schooling my nephew, love it!!!


This is what I would call an unexpected tradition, the kind that is never planned but always happens,  and never fails to leave you with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment