Sunday, July 24, 2011

Names From the Past

We are given a name when we are born,
not one that we choose but one that is passed on to us,
From people in our past who we hardly know
but who have made it possible for us to be where we are today.

Their sacrifice may never be known,
we know little of their history, some have no face, only a name.

But let us try not to forget those that have touched our lives,
who have dwelt in our hearts, and let us forever share their memory and
the legacy they have left for us.

I truly am fascinated by the people who have come before me.  I have learned their names, and every once in a while come across information that gives me a glimpse of who they were.  They are as varied as the flowers in a field yet they come together to create beauty unmatched.  I love when something new comes to my attention because it makes them little more real to me and frankly I look forward to meeting them one day.  I can't wait to ask them questions and tell them thank you.  I know that not all my ancestors were fairytale type people with faith and fortitude and never a low moment.  In fact that is what makes me love them all the more, I know that there were moms with tempers and parents who felt a sadness that I can not even begin to comprehend.  I know there were those who didn't make the best choices for their families and left when things were difficult.  But all these situations allowed the people around them to make choices.  These choices made by spouses or children have led to where I am here and now.  It is true I have some colorful ancestors, but that is what gives the field of flowers it's character and that is what makes you want to investigate a little more and find out the details.  I want to introduce you to some of those individuals and give you a taste of why I love them.  Through these family history posts you will meet Robert and Elizabeth who were not given a choice in their marriage, Margery Mae who was a 52 year old widow when she walked across the plains with her five children, Mary Marinda who was a tiny little woman with so much spunk and strength it boggles my mind as well as a lot of other people I love dearly.  It's their legacy I look forward to sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment